Are you familiar with the stinging insects known as paper wasps? It's hard not to be familiar with them if you live in Riverton. The Northern paper wasp, with its brown coloration, is a common sight around homes. We also have yellow and black colored paper wasps that are sometimes mistaken for yellow jackets.
When these insects come into your yard, they create gray paper nests under the overhangs and rooflines of your home and other structures on your property. You may also find paper wasps making nests in rafters, the corners of porch ceilings, and in other protected areas. This can present a threat to you and everyone who lives in your Riverton home. But, there is a way to reduce the threat of paper wasps. Here are some little-known ways to keep these wasps out of your yard.
What Do Paper Wasps Like To Eat?
You are probably aware that paper wasps feed on nectar like other stinging insects do. But are you aware that they are also attracted to protein sources? They'll hang out around uncovered trash cans. They'll hang out in landscaping that provides ideal harborage for beetles, ants, caterpillars, and other bugs. They'll hang out around barbecue grills. Understanding this can help you make your yard less interesting to paper wasps and reduce your chances of having a nest develop.
- Keep all trash in trash bags, and place them in covered containers.
- If you have pets that eat food outside, consider feeding them inside or only putting food down during mealtimes.
- Move firewood, construction materials, and other wood sources away from your exterior.
- Move objects that are near or touching your exterior.
- Keep your landscaping trimmed and remove weeds and other unnecessary vegetation.
Reduce Moisture In And Around Your Riverton Home
There are many reasons bugs will encroach upon your exterior walls and make the perimeter around your home a desirable location for paper wasps to create a nest. We touched on harborage. But moisture also plays a significant role. You would be amazed at how many bugs prefer damp, humid areas. Consider these tips for reducing moisture:
- Ensure your gutters are working to channel rainwater down and away from your home. When gutters get obstructed or broken, it can create damp conditions near your foundation walls.
- Water your plants in the morning so that the sun can dry up excess moisture before nightfall.
- Trim the tree canopy around your home to let sunlight into shaded areas that tend to stay damp.
Like most problem pests, paper wasps are constantly in search of food, shelter, and water. Therefore, to keep them away, it's best to eliminate these attractants on your property whenever possible.
How Tanner Pest Control Can Help Control Paper Wasps On Your Property
You have some control over the environment around your home, and you can make it attractive or repellent to pests and the paper wasps that eat them. You may be able to reduce some pests on your own, but for the greatest level of pest management, it pays to enlist the aid of an educated and experienced pest management professional. This is where we can help.
Our licensed pest control experts will:
- Apply a residual control product around your home to address simple organisms that wasps eat.
- Remove spider webs to reduce spiders that are an attractive meal for wasps.
- Perform routine inspections to identify trouble spots that can promote pest activity and wasp nest development.
- Routinely locate and remove paper wasp nests before they can be a problem for you and your family.
Despite your best efforts to keep them away, you still may find yourself dealing with a paper wasp problem on your property. In the end, it's best to partner with a local pest control company in Riverton to help keep unwanted stinging insects off your property.
Ongoing Pest Management With Tanner Pest Control
The licensed pest professionals here at Tanner Pest Control are always standing by to help with the elimination of pest problems, but keep in mind that we can also give you assistance with managing the environment around your Riverton home. When you have routine visits from one of our pest management professionals, your exterior will have what it needs to keep pests, including paper wasps, out of your home and off of your property.
Reach out to us today to learn more about our stinging insect control options and bundled pest control plans!