Riverton Homeowners' Guide To Effective Ant Prevention
August 15, 2022 - Ants
If you're a homeowner in Riverton, then you've probably had to deal with ants at some point. These pesky insects can cause all sorts of problems in your home, from contaminating your food to causing structural damage. Tanner Pest Control will discuss the ants common to this area, the problems they cause in homes, and tips on preventive ant control in your house. We'll also cover how Riverton pest control can help you get rid of them for good if they do manage to get inside.
Characteristics Of Common Ants
Several different species of ants call Riverton home, and some of the most common include carpenter ants, odorous house ants, and pavement ants:
- Carpenter ants: These ants get their name from their habit of tunneling into wood to build their nests. This can cause serious damage to your home if left unchecked.
- Odorous house ants: These ants get their name from the fact that they give off a foul odor when crushed.
- Pavement ants: These ants get their name from the fact that they often build their nests in cracks in concrete or asphalt.
Any of these ants can become a problem in your home if they manage to get inside. That's why it's important to be proactive in preventing them from entering in the first place.
The Problems An Ant Infestation Can Cause In Your Home
While ants may seem harmless, they can actually cause a number of problems in your home, such as:
- Contaminating your food: Ants are attracted to sugary and oily foods. They will often crawl on these foods, leaving behind bacteria and viruses that can make you sick.
- Damaging your property: Carpenter ants, in particular, can do a lot of damage to your home if left unchecked. They will tunnel through wood, causing it to weaken and eventually collapse.
- Biting and stinging: The bites and stings of some ants can cause pain, swelling, and in some cases, an allergic reaction. If you are allergic to ant venom, you may experience difficulty breathing, dizziness, or even shock.
To avoid these problems, it's important to take steps to prevent ants from entering your home in the first place.
Six Simple Yet Effective Ant Prevention Tips
Here are some simple but effective tips on preventive home pest control for ants:
- Keep your home clean. Ants are attracted to food and grease, so be sure to wipe up any spills immediately. You should also empty your trash cans on a regular basis.
- Repair cracks and holes. These pests can squeeze through very small openings, so it's important to seal up any that you find.
- Eliminate moisture. Fix any leaky pipes or fixtures and make sure your gutters are clean and functioning properly.
- Keep food in tightly sealed containers. This will prevent them from being able to smell it and will also make it more difficult for them to get to.
- Keep your yard clean. Ants often build their nests in piles of leaves or wood, so be sure to remove these from your property for outdoor ant control.
- Call a professional. If you're having trouble keeping ants out of your home, you may need to call a professional for ant control in Riverton.
By following these simple tips, you can keep ants out of your home and avoid the problems they can cause.
The Best Way To Get Rid Of Ants In Your House
If you do find yourself with a persistent ant problem, the best course of action is to call a professional in ant control solutions like Tanner Pest Control. We take the time to discover your individual ant pest control needs, and we deliver all our pest control services with a total satisfaction guarantee. We'll be able to find the source of your Riverton home's ant problem and take steps to eliminate them for good. Contact us today.